The damage that Tropical Storm Harvey is inflicting on Texas, and especially the Houston area, is incalculable. And as of this writing, it shows no signs of slowing down, having just made a second landfall in Louisiana. But in times of crisis, good people come together to help each other. That’s all there is to it. Here are a few ways that you can assist the victims of Harvey, with special focus on local charities.
- National charities will do their part, but local charities are on the ground where it matters and can help most immediately. Houston mayor Sylvester Turner established a Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund for tax-deductible flood relief donations. The Greater Houston Community Foundation is updating this page of Hurricane Harvey Relief Resources.
- The Houston Coatlition for the Homeless is providing shelter to those in need and is accepting donations.
- The North Texas organization Hope Supply Co is helping children and families displaced at the mega shelter in Dallas. You can use this registry link to purchase blankets, bottles, diapers, and more in the hands of children and parents who have lost everything.
- Facebook: It’s a quick click with double the impact. Facebook is matching donations to the Center for Disaster Philanthropy’s Hurricane Harvey Recovery Fund, up to $1 million. Make a donation from your news feed when you see the prompt or on CDP’s Facebook page.
- Americares will donate $200 of emergency medicine and supplies for every $10 donated. They’re an accredited charity , which means you can give knowing your donation will cover care, not admin costs.
- Purchase survival essentials like pillows, first aid kits, and phone chargers through the Red Cross Wish List on Amazon. As this article in Wired explains, other community wish lists, well-intentioned though they are, might not help the victims immediately because Amazon had to close several local distribution centers. But Amazon commited to delivering items on the Red Cross list, in addition to pledging $1 million in matching donations.
- More corporate giving to commend: ABC/Disney and Hearst are matching employee gifts made to the Red Cross and other charities.
- You can donate to the Red Cross in $5, $10, $25, $50, $100, and $200 increments directly from Apple’s App Store. Personal information won’t be shared with the organization, but you’ll get a receipt.
Постоянная ссылка: https://zmeinogorsk.ru/how-to-help-victims-of-harvey/